Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Newsletters, Listservs, and Blogs, oh my!

I am always looking for ways to add new resources to my research tool box. Newsletters, listservs, and blogs are the perfect solution and let you sit back and have all of those helpful links come right to you. Of course, you know about the great resources APRA MidSouth is offering on our blog, but what about non-traditional prospect research sources? Business librarians and other information entrepreneurs know their stuff and they have some great resources.

Here are some of my favorites:

My absolute favorite newsletter is from BestBizWeb. Once a month I receive this gem in my email box full of some of the best business research sites The Information Advisor has recently come across. I love the simplicity of the email and that I can quickly learn if the site they’re suggesting is free or fee-based, the URL, type of information provided, and a quick review of the site itself.

If you haven’t heard of ResearchBuzz, go there NOW and sign up to follow their blog by email. You’ll receive an email summarizing lots of great information on search engines, databases, and other online information collections.

The Internet Scout Report is another way to satisfy your inner nerd every Friday through another electronic newsletter. The Scout Report is the flagship publication of the Internet Scout Project and has been published continuously since 1994. Even when it is not related to prospect research, I always walk away learning something new. As a bonus, be sure to check out the site’s Scout Weblog for some interesting links to other blogs and topics around the world.

Marcy Phelps of Phelps Research has a monthly newsletter you can subscribe to and receive monthly tips and sites for Internet research.

Phil Bradley’s weblog focuses on Internet searching, Web 2.0 resources, and search engines and their development. He’s a good one to add to your RSS feed.

Sometimes I don’t need a link to a new site, but I do need a little professional motivation or insight. My daily alert to the Harvard Business Review always provides an interesting blog post or two on a variety of subjects including managing people, innovation, leadership, and various business topics. (Note: there is a limit on the number of articles you can view per month.)

Now it’s your turn – what are some of your favorite blogs and newsletters?

Angie Herrington, Vanderbilt University

No comments:

Post a Comment